This resource expands on the information outlined in the article, 4 Steps to Free Publicity.
This template is a guide where you’ll need to write the content that fits with each section identified in [brackets] as suggested below. Alternatively if you need something even easier to implement, the MORE FEET Club has ready-to-send email templates that you can copy-and-paste for specific pitches.
Media Pitch Email Template
[Email subject line: Try to keep it to 10 words that sum up your pitch best. Or think about what the ideal headline for the article might be in the publication and try that.]
Hi [first name],
[Get straight to the point. Example, “Would you like to do a story on issue xyz?”]
[Give some background in a paragraph or two tops about your story idea and what makes it compelling.]
[Give a little info about yourself and why you would be the best or only person to do this story.]
[If there’s a connection with your pitch and something they’ve recently covered, feel free to mention it somewhere in the pitch, but don’t go overboard. Keep it simple and straightforward.]
I look forward to hearing from you,
- Keep it short and stick to the most compelling points. If they want more info they’ll let you know. Avoid using clever language or jargon and just keep it simple and clear.
- It’s okay to let your personality show.
- It’s normal to get ignored. Don’t let it keep you from trying again with a different media contact or the same one with a new idea too.
- Journalists love exclusives, so start with one and see if they pick it up before suggesting it to another one.
- If you are on social media where the personalities have profiles, it’s always good to follow them and interact genuinely with them so your name seems familiar. It will also give you a good feel for what they might connect with in your pitch too.
- Don’t forget: they don’t care about your business. They care about getting stories and information out to their audience that their audience will want to read/watch/listen to. Their goal is to keep their readers/viewers coming back by providing quality content.
Wish marketing felt easier?
Get Done-For-You Marketing Content
that’s ready (and easy) to implement when you join the More Feet Club. Get professional marketing on a DIY budget. Best of all, it’s designed just for reflexologists!